Wednesday

Little Things Make a Big Difference


Friday we sang Happy Birthday to our Lil' Cherub! She's getting so big and chubby and starting to interact with everyone more - well, as much as a 4 week old can interact! She makes eye contact and can stay awake for more than 20 minutes without crying!


Our days flip flop between crazy and out of control, to calm and relaxed. I haven't figured out the formula yet. Some days I can't seem to get it together, the kids are wild and full of energy and the baby is out of sorts all day. Those are the times I feel like we'd better just put everyone in daycare or school and go back to work full time! However, I think as we slowly reintroduce various bits of our schedule (homeschool lessons, playgroups, co-op meetings, library time) it helps everyone to settle back into the groove. I always knew it was important for children to have some structure to their days, but I never realized just how significant it really is. Just adding one small regularly scheduled activity makes a big difference in our lives!


Another thing that has really helped me to maintain some sanity is naptime. Little Guy has always taken a nap after lunch. Lil' Miss then practices violin with me and then either gets on the computer, reads books or plays until he wakes. This usually means she's asking me for help with something on the computer, asking me for help with the books or asking me to look at her doll's latest outfit or taste some imaginary meal she's cooked. A couple of weeks ago I decided that she too needs to take a nap so that I can have a moment to myself! After her violin practice, I have her quietly go upstairs and climb into bed (the two are in a bunk bed) without waking her brother. She thinks this is a fun challenge. She eventually falls asleep, at times for nearly two hours! This has been such a blessing because I can get work done, catch up on email, or take a short nap if the baby is sleeping! Now I truly appreciate how precious these little moments of quiet are!


Lil' Cherub gets her first set of shots on Thursday, so hopefully we'll get to attend our co-op meeting on Friday and go to church service on Sunday! Returning to church will really make things feel like normal. As much as it is a challenge getting two kids ready and out the door for church on a Sunday morning, and I can't imagine what it will be like with three - I always feel like something is off when we miss a couple of weeks of service and other church activities. I not only miss the worship and the education components, but the fellowship of our church family. I think this is important for the kids as well. Again, just a small piece of our time - a couple of hours on Sunday, Thursday (Bible Study) and random special events, but a huge impact on our lives!


Now, if I can just find a time to begin blogging regularly again!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I remember those first shots all too well. As a mom I would feel so bad when my babies would look at me as if they were saying, "why did you let that happen" Then they would cry.
    Sounds like your doing an amazing job with everything that's going on. Keep up the good work Mom :)

    ReplyDelete